Thursday, March 31, 2011

last day

Well it's currently 6:41am while I an writing my last post on this blog. This trip has been a serious once in a lifetime opportunity and I think I can speak for the whole group when I say that we definitely will not forget the past 10 days. It seem like only yesterday that I was standing in front of Victoria Square, astonished by the fact that I was in Northern Ireland. Well time comes and goes and eventually it is time to say goodbye which is what I feel is the hardest thing. However, the progress that 6 kids and 5 host students made was unbelieveable. 10 days ago I just met these people and it's astonishing how we have come as one and have been united. Yes, it will be a difficult and tearful goodbye at Belfast International today. But the situation the students shared with the hosts really mirrors what needs to be done back at a place that I personally use to call home, Highland Park. This is unity. We need to use what we've learned and unite our community as a whole.
Ending my philosophical speech there, I would like to take this time to thank the Rotary Club for giving me this opportunity. A big warm thank you also goes out to Carolyn Watson, my host mother. Also a huge thanks to Tori Watson, my host sister. The previous two people have let me in their house for the past ten days and have made it an experience worth remembering.
As I type this post, it is saddening that I am leaving Northern Ireland. If it were up to me, I wouldn't leave. But I remember, home is where the heart is, which means I never really am going to leave the Watson residence or Northern Ireland.

-riques

1 comment:

  1. TOGETHER A Better Understanding!............


    Welcome home! On behalf of President Brian Clements, David Boyd and the rest of the TABU team together with all the members of the Rotary Club of Belfast can we simply express our appreciation of the time you have spent with us. What a group! You have all been impeccable ambassadors for your school, Highland Park and the Rotary Club. You have impressed wherever you went and have joined in with an enthusiasm and a sense of fun in all the activities. We note from your excellent blogs that you have taken away a set of experiences and we hope these will stay with you for a long time, together with a soft spot for this small corner of the world. You have certainly earned a place in our hearts and we return you to your homes with a great sense of sadness at your leaving us, but also with a very large measure of optimism for the future which you will be forging for yourselves and your community.



    Thank you for your impact on us and all the memories you have left with us - they make all the preparation on both sides well worthwhile and encapsulate the unique aspects if the TABU programme.



    We wish you well in all your future endeavours and simply leave you with the words of a famous Irish blessing:

    “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May your God hold you in the hollow of his hand”.

    ReplyDelete